Understanding Traditional Chiropractic Theory

By Dr. John Reizer

Editor at NoFakeNews.net

The human brain sends and receives electrical messages to and from all parts of your body. It is essential that these messages arrive at specific locations, inside of you, throughout your entire life in order for you to remain healthy. The messages travel inside the spinal cord and spinal nerves.

The nervous system is like a giant telephone communication network. It transmits electrical messages that directly affect organs, tissues and cells in the body and it can also trigger the release of chemical messages that allow other modes of communication to take place within our physiology. Whether it’s electrical or chemical communications, the nervous system is behind the transmission of these messages and your body cannot be healthy if the nervous system is not functioning properly.

The spinal cord is very well protected by the spinal bones and the brain is protected by the skull. Spinal bones (vertebrae) are moveable structures and they allow us a great deal of flexibility when we are moving about.

Because the spinal bones sit on top of one another, they form a long canal of bones where the spinal cord runs through. The spinal nerves that exit off the spinal cord pass between openings that are made on the sides of the spinal bones. Sometimes spinal bones become misaligned from each other and this causes them to place a slight amount of pressure on the spinal nerves (vertebral subluxations). When this happens, the messages that are being transmitted through the nervous system become distorted and this causes problems to occur in the body’s physiology.

Traditional chiropractors will nudge the misaligned spinal bones back into their proper anatomical positions by making gentle, manual (by hand) adjustments. This is not done to treat specific conditions of sickness or disease, but rather to correct the misaligned (subluxated) spinal bones. The spinal adjustments help to remove nerve interference and this ultimately allows health to be restored in the body naturally. Many conditions of sickness are then reversed by the body’s own inborn recuperative abilities.

HOW SERIOUS IS A VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION?

One of the most difficult concepts to get across to people is the devastating effects of a vertebral subluxation. I could show you all kinds of diseases and say that subluxations cause those diseases, but that would not be quite honest. That would be like saying that being a “couch potato” and not exercising regularly causes heart disease. Undoubtedly those are factors, but there are other factors also. No one can possibly say what is the major factor or cause. In addition, I do not want to focus on negatives such as individual diseases.

I believe it is important to be proactive and to discuss the importance of getting your spine checked and adjusted on a regular basis in order to maintain your body and thus allowing you to reach your true potential in every aspect of your life. Unfortunately, some people are only motivated by fear; the fear of getting sick, or dying from some horrible disease. So for those people, let’s take a minute to talk about how bad this thing called a vertebral subluxation really is.

When you have a subluxation in your spine your brain messages are interfered with and your body does not receive all of its proper instructions. Your digestive system will not work at its potential. Your body cannot produce the exact quantity and quality of chemicals necessary to digest your food. Your food will not be absorbed into your body as it should because your cells involved with absorption are not working as they should. Your food cannot be broken down properly. Your organs, tissues and cells involved with changing absorbed food into flesh and blood will not work properly. When you are subluxated, your immune system is not working as it should. Your organs and cells responsible for your resistance to viruses and bacteria are working less than their potential. When you are subluxated you cannot think as well, your coordination is lessened, and your energy levels are diminished. A vertebral subluxation literally affects every part of your body, because every part of your body is directly dependent upon receiving instructions from your brain through your nerve system!

Your subluxation affects every part of your body!!! In this day and age when there are so many stresses upon your body (physical, chemical, and mental) you cannot afford to have an improperly functioning nerve system! You cannot be sure about the quality of the water that you drink, or the air that you breathe. You cannot be sure that your body is getting all of the nutrients that it needs from the food that you eat. You cannot help being exposed to microorganisms, many of which are more powerful than ever because of their ability to adapt to our attempts to destroy them. You can do nothing about the genetic weaknesses that you may have inherited. But by keeping your nerve system free of vertebral subluxations, you can be sure that any potential challenges you may be facing will be handled by your body more efficiently.

Remember that Chiropractic Is Not About Your Back, It’s About Your Life!

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Understanding Traditional Chiropractic Theory

1. Michelle Jackson April 8, 2012 / 1:23 pm

I’ve been under chiropractic care for most of my life. It’s a lifestyle that I grew up with. My parents were always under care, and I and my sisters always were brought to the chiropractor for weekly visits. I do the same with my two boys. My husband goes to get his spine checked also.

A lot of people don’t understand why we go to a doctor when we are feeling fine. They don’t understand that chiropractic care makes your body stronger, healthier, and less prone to sickness. I tell my friends that the reason we very rarely get sick (knock on wood) is because we are under regular chiropractic care, we try to eat healthy foods (getting harder to do in this day and age) and we drink plenty of spring water that is not inundated with fluoride.

Michelle J.

• Dr. John Reizer April 9, 2012 / 11:27 am

Hi Michelle,

When a person understands how the human body is wired, he or she gains a better appreciation for the chiropractic practice objective. Although the concept of vertebral subluxation is not marketed nor acknowledged by the mainstream media or organized medicine, it remains a very real threat to the health and well being of all health care consumers.

You have a great understanding of the value of chiropractic care. You get the “big idea” that is associated with the chiropractic paradigm. It is taught by chiropractors to chiropractic patients throughout the world. Very few individuals, however, grasp the “big idea” like you have. Unfortunately, when it comes to health care, and chiropractic, most people don’t have the slightest idea about what ultimately allows the human body to achieve the greatest expression of health.

Congratulations to you and your family members for making a lifetime investment that will pay you back in health dividends for the rest of your lives!

• Celestino May 5, 2012 / 8:08 am

This is why chiropractic care is not only etcvffiee for treating low back pain, neck pain, and headaches but it has also been shown to help with lowering blood pressure, improving asthma, and digestion. The controller of the body the nervous system is functioning properly and therefore the entire body can function correctly. how very true. I wish more people get to know this. I’d definitely share it with friends. Thanks for posting!

2. Callie Johnson April 10, 2012 / 6:00 pm

Dr. Reizer,

I have been reading the different books you have written about chiropractic and you seem like someone that is very passionate about helping young students.

I am very interested in becoming a chiropractor and have been doing a lot of research on different colleges. Some of the doctors I have spoken to have warned me to steer clear of certain institutions for reasons I wish not to list here.

Is there any advice that you could offer me as far as picking a good chiropractic college? I have already finished my prerequisite courses and would like to make a decision soon.

I am very interested in traditional chiropractic. The philosophy makes a lot of sense to me and I want to find a program that teaches those ideals.

Thanks,

Callie

• Dr. John Reizer April 10, 2012 / 6:23 pm

Dear Callie,

Whenever I write or speak to anyone about a career in chiropractic, I attempt to do so with complete transparency. I don’t believe it is fair to sugarcoat or paint a picture about the chiropractic profession for prospective students that is inaccurate or misleading.

I believe that chiropractic (traditional chiropractic) is currently fighting for its life. The specialized accrediting agency that oversees and sets the academic standards for all chiropractic colleges has been attempting to eliminate the traditional principles associated with the profession for many years.

There are a hundred different things or more that a prospective student must know before making a decision to enter any school of study. You can multiply that number of things by a thousand times when it comes to the subject of chiropractic. 🙂

I would love to have an opportunity to discuss with you, in private, the pros and cons of becoming a chiropractor. Throughout the many years I have been practicing and teaching chiropractic, I have talked to hundreds of prospective students.

I have your private contact information and look forward to discussing this subject with you in the very near future.

And by the way, thanks for participating on the comment thread at NoFakeNews.net.

• Vherra May 5, 2012 / 4:33 am

I agree with this post, chiropractic care has a lot of anavtdages that people can benefit from. is a proactive, non-invasive approach to enhance health and well-being by fine tuning the body so it works at its absolute peak. It is also a proven safe, gentle and effective approach not only for the relief of pain and discomfort but also enjoyed by millions of people every year to maximize health and well-being. Thanks for sharing valuable information about back pain treatment.

• Megan May 4, 2012 / 2:48 pm

Great article! It is all so very true. People need to rezilae that they are the ones who hold the potential for healing not any doctor, pill, potion, or procedure. All we, as chiropractors, can do is eliminate the interference and help to unleash the power within.